Trump says he’s considering military response to Venezuela

BEDMINSTER, United States — US President Donald Trump said Friday he was considering military options as a response to the escalating crisis in Venezuela, describing the situation there as a “very dangerous mess.”

“We have many options for Venezuela, including a possible military option if necessary,” Trump told reporters in New Jersey.

“We have troops all over the world in places that are very far away. Venezuela is not very far away and the people are suffering and they’re dying.”

The comments came two days after his administration imposed new sanctions on Venezuela, targeting members of a loyalist assembly installed last week to bolster what Washington calls the “dictatorship” of President Nicolas Maduro.

The Venezuelan government responded to the sanctions by saying the US was “making a fool of itself in front of the world.”

Anti-government activists demonstrate against Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro at a barricade set up on a road in Caracas on August 8, 2017. (AFP PHOTO / Ronaldo SCHEMIDT)

Trump said Venezuela’s ongoing crisis was among the topics discussed at the talks he hosted in New Jersey on Friday with his Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and UN Ambassador Nikki Haley.

“Venezuela is a mess. It is very dangerous mess and a very sad situation,” Trump said.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s